Sunday, June 30, 2013

Alberta Government continues to respond to flooding emergency (Update 18)

*Please note: new information is bolded

Current situation update

  • A provincial state of emergency was declared in the Town of High River on Friday, June 28.The province has assumed responsibility for emergency operations, programs and services in High River.
  • 11 confirmed states of local emergency, down from 18 on Thursday.
  • 19 active local Emergency Operations Centres in southern Alberta, including municipalities, First Nations, and private industry (Fortis).
  • Government of Alberta will be working with municipalities to compile a list of municipal employees with technical expertise.
Information line for Albertans affected by flooding
  • From 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. on Sunday and Monday, affected residents can call the Government of Alberta Call Centre at 310-4455 to ask questions. Volunteer agents will forward calls to the appropriate program area and provide information.
Emergency funding for displaced Albertans
  • Starting Sunday at 1 p.m., residents of Calgary and Canmore can access pre-loaded debit cards. Details are available online or by calling 310-4455 toll-free.
  • Residents of Exshaw should attend the Canmore pre-loaded debit card processing site for support.
  • People are encouraged to be patient and if possible wear appropriate sun protection as lines may be long. More information on emergency relief benefits.
  • Preliminary estimates indicate that over the first three days approximately 10,250 people were supported through the distribution of 4,100 payments totalling $10.25 million.
  • The Vulcan Distribution Centre for pre-loaded debit cards is closed. The Nanton processing site is open Sunday, June 30 from 8:00 a.m. until 8 p.m.
  • Affected low-income Albertans can also go to any Alberta Works office to get additional information and support through an emergency needs allowance. Please call the toll-free contact centre at 310-4455 for Alberta Works office locations.  Note: Alberta Works offices will not be offering pre-loaded debit card assistance at this time.
  • If an evacuee is unable to physically go to a pre-loaded debit card processing site, a family member can represent them. This person must take additional documentation for the person they represent. Please call 310-4455 for details.
Reception centres
  • The reception centre in Vulcan is closed. Residents looking for assistance can go to the Nanton reception centre.
  • Evacuees can register or be located by calling the Red Cross information line at 1-866-696-6484.
Road Information
  • Nine highways are closed, two highways have restricted access and one ferry is closed.
  • Four lanes are now open on the TransCanada Highway leading into Canmore but only one lane in each direction will be available when crews are working in the area.  Travellers may face delays and some lane closures as shoulders are being paved.  Speed restrictions still in place.
  • Highway 1A east and west of Exshaw is still closed. (Open to emergency vehicles and residents only from Exshaw to Canmore)
  • Highway 40 is open from Highway 1 to Highway 68, campgrounds and hotels are not ready to take customers. To keep people safe, most provincial parks and recreation areas in Kananaskis Country are closed by ministerial order. 
  • More than 300 bridge structures to be inspected or are currently being worked on by Alberta Transportation.
  • With extra construction crews on the road this long weekend, drivers need to use caution. Speed limits are reduced in all construction zones.  Speed fines double when workers are in the area.
  • For the most up-to-date information on highway conditions and closures go, follow @511Alberta or call 511.
Health Services  
  • Dr. Michael Trew has been appointed Chief Mental Health Officer.&nbsp The position is to ensure Albertans have access to the mental health supports they need, when and how they need them, to cope with the aftermath of the flooding.
  • Up-to-date information on facilities is posted on the Alberta Health Services webpage at
  • Albertans are advised to contact their insurance companies about vehicles damaged by recent flooding. Vehicles damaged by flood waters are extremely unsafe and cannot be repaired.
Landlord-Tenant Concerns
  • Tenants and landlords with questions about how damage to property affects rental agreements or about cleaning up and repairing rental property can call the Consumer Contact Centre toll free at 1-877-427-4088.
Outdoor Recreation and Parks
  • Please visit the Land & Trail Closures and Advisories page and for up-to-date information before making your hiking, camping, and quadding plans for this long weekend.
  • Call 1-877-537-2757 by the end of July if you require a refund on a reservation for a campsite within the Alberta Parks system.
Insurance Bureau of Canada
  • The Insurance Bureau of Canada’s consumer information centre is staffed to provide advice and help guide impacted Albertans through the claim process. Call 1-800-377-6378 or for assistance.
Child Care - displaced Albertans working or involved in flood restoration&nbsp
  • Families that need help finding a child care space in a licensed or approved program in or around communities that have been impacted by this disaster should contact the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.
  • Families that need to make changes to existing child care subsidy approval, child care programs or contact information please complete the Change of Circumstance form. The completed form should be:
  • For more information call Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.
Conserve Energy
  • The Alberta Electronic System Operator is asking all Albertans to voluntarily reduce their use of electricity. This is due to hot weather across the province as well as a number of generators that are out of service for maintenance.
Flooding stories
Other Information

Links to emergency information, community contacts and disaster recovery is available at Watch for Government of Alberta updates on Twitter at #abflood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments are moderated before being published. Please be civil.

Infinite Scroll