- Choose a route for your children’s trick-or-treating before Halloween night and set a time for them to return home.
- Accompany children under eight years old. Older children should trick-or-treat with a responsible adult or in a group. No child should trick-or-treat alone.
- Have your child wear face paint or cosmetics rather than masks as they can interfere with vision.
- Make sure your child carries a flashlight.
- If you are giving out treats, leave your porch light on to light the children’s way up your path and steps.
- Teach children to stay in well-lit areas and only visit houses with the outside light on.
- Teach children to always walk on sidewalks. Never walk on the road or across yards.
- Remind your trick-or-treater to walk, never run.
- Make sure costumes and footwear fit properly. Costumes should not be too loose or too long. Avoid large costumes with baggy sleeves and skirts.
- Never allow children to carry sharp, dangerous props such as knives or swords. These could cause injuries in a fall.
- Remove yard obstacles that could be hazards in the dark, such as tools, toys and lawn ornaments.
Wear the Gear
- When driving in residential areas, slow down and be alert for children.
Wear the Gear
- Make your child visible. Add reflective tape to costumes and bags.
- Teach your children how to cross the road safely using Point, Pause and Proceed.
- If there is no crosswalk, cross at the nearest corner. Point across theroad to tell drivers you want to cross.
- Pause until the cars stop. Proceed when it is safe. Keep checking fortraffic.
- Children under the age of eight must be accompanied by a responsible adult or older child when crossing the street.
- Make sure all costumes, wigs and hats are made of fire-resistant materials.
- Children should not play near lit jack-o’-lanterns.
- Keep jack-o’-lanterns away from curtains and other flammable materials.
- Have children bring home treats before eating them. Send snacks with them to eat if they get hungry.
- Check for punctures or holes in the candy wrapping or surface of fruits.Cut fruit open before eating.