Josh Davis – On Wednesday June 8, Pincher Creek's Committee of the Whole discussed and provided direction to Administration on a project to apply for the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program Grant. The Government of Canada has allocated an additional $46.2 million across Western Canada, and eligible applicants can receive up to $500 000 for their project. Priorities for this program, which is accepting a second call for proposals until June 22, include upgrades to recreational facilities. The committee decided that upgrading Pincher Creek's aquatic facility with the proposed spray park and a waterslide fit the bill, and Town administration will be bringing forward a more complete proposal during their meeting on Monday, June 13.
Council has already committed $500 000 for upgrades to Central Park, including the development of a Spray and Splash Park, as matching funds and in application to the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program.
"The Federal Government has put more money back into this program, so we may as well apply for something," opened Mayor Don Anderberg. "The reality is, we should apply for the maximum. We probably won't get the maximum, but we should have a plan for that money in case we do."
Recreation Manager Adam Grose cautioned the committee that the grant needed to stay focused for them to submit the best possible application.
Town Councillor Doug Thornton raised the topic of diversifying the towns aquatic facility by locating the spray park outside the recreation office, which is in the same building (the Memorial Community Centre) as the pool on Main Street, and adding a waterslide to the facilities. "If we had an all-season spray park and a water slide at our pool I believe that would draw a lot of people to Pincher Creek." Thornton suggested that it could be a modular project to upgrade aquatic facilities, with Phase 1 being the spray park, and phase 2 being the waterslide in the future. The committee also talked about the possibility of a wave pool being added, though it is unclear if this will be included in the grant proposal.
Councillor Thornton moved to postpone a decision on the matter until the regular Town Council meeting on the evening of Monday June 13 in order to give council and administration time to work out the details of the final grant application. The motion was carried.